The Monero Standard #7: 30 March 2022 - 6 April 2022
Table of Contents
- Recent News
- Price and Blockchain Statistics
- Fun Facts
- Notable Projects
- Meme of the Week
- Study Time
- Donation and Contact
- EU committees voted for more crypto surveillance, in which any transaction to or from "unhosted wallets" must get KYC'd. Brian Armstrong, Coinbase CEO, in a hypocritical statement raised concerns about what impacts this can have on EU user's privacy and security, just after Coinbase started requiring name and home addresses of all Canadian transaction's recipients.
- 5 Undeniable Reasons Why Bitcoin Will Never Work by Mr. Whale.
- P2Pool 1.9 has been released with critical bug fixes.
- Haveno frontend got fully funded in just 4 days.
- Trezor encountered a data breach of their opt-in newsletter and email addresses of subscribed users got leaked. Hackers are using leaked email addresses to conduct a wide phishing attack; Trezor advises not to open any email suspected to be from the company until the situation is solved.
- Cake Labs (formerly Cake Technologies) released Cake Wallet v4.3.9. Main change for this release is the integration of Haven Protocol and its private stablecoin assets.
- Agustin Cruz proposed a CCS proposal to make 3D metal-printing printers more accessible and affordable for anyone around the world by making a patent-free solution. Consider reading the full information here and here.
Price and Blockchain Statistics
|Market Capitalization||$3.924 billion|
|Total Supply||18,103,330 XMR|
|Price||$217.77 -1.80% in 7 days|
|LocalMonero's Street Price||$237.48|
|Average Transaction Fee||0.00012 XMR ($0.025)|
|Block Reward||0.6550+0.00390 XMR ($143.31)|
|Hashrate||2.972 Ghash/s -3.77% in 24 hours|
|Transaction Ratio to Bitcoin||9%|
Muh inflation bug!
One of the most cited FUDs around Monero is "How we can ensure that no Monero was created ever from thin air?", well you can. Bitcoiners often have this confidence that "because I can tally numbers up in Bitcoin blockchain, then I'm confident about it". Problem is, there was 2 inflation bugs in Bitcoin blockchain itself back in 2010 and 2018 and the ability to transparently watch amounts transferred on blockchain did nothing to prevent these. Monero uses Pederson commitments, a zero-knowledge proving system, to ensure the authenticity of amounts being transferred. You can read more about this FUD here.
Pi Supply is a UK-based electronic company that ships Raspberry Pi, Arduino and other electronics worldwide and accepting Monero as one of many payment methods they have.
- MoneroOutreach.org has a very detailed article for newcomers and how they can help and contribute to the idea and philosophy of Monero, check them out. Also be sure to check this article in LocalMonero's Knowledge Base.
- Monero Bounties website is a well-written and up-to-date source of Monero projects.
- LibRedirect is a free-software extension for major browsers (currently available for Firefox and Edge in their native stores) that redirects you to privacy-preserving alternatives for many mainstream online services such as YouTube, Reddit, Twitter, Wikipedia and more. Their GitHub repo is available here. Please note that Tor Browser developers advise not to install any additional extension into their browser, LibreWolf and Brave seem to be fine.
- Monero Art Fund is a community effort of artists and designers who try to provide the community with the latest gorgeous designs of MoneroChan, the anime girl becoming the mascot of Monero. If you enjoyed the art, support them by donation to help them continue. We at this newsletter had the pleasure to use their arts because we're too lazy. :)
- 3D Metal Printer Project
- Deploy simple provably-fair, community funded monero casino.
- Let more people use XMR, telegram push, small transactions done in seconds, docker private deployment, provide free API service
- SolOptXMR - Solar Optimal mining of XMR
- Translation of Monero GUI Wallet, CLI Wallet, monero-site, Behavioral Finance, Cryptocurrency Markets (subtitles), Moneropedia, User Guides to Greek
- The Monero Moon CCS proposal - March 2022
- Monero Afghanistan Expansion Strategy
- Creation of Python tools and educational material for checking and explaining the absence of money leakage (a.k.a. inflation) in Monero.
- monero-bash, a wrapper for monero written in bash, for Linux
Meme of the Week
Donation and Contact
This newsletter is one of my dedicated jobs and LocalMonero pays me for writing it, but if you've found it informative and helpful, here is my wallet address:
Found anything worth noting? Want to send something to be included in the next issue? Want to chat about something?
You can contact me on XMPP and Matrix.
Be aware that Matrix is centralized due to the fact that most people make an account on Matrix.org operated by the Matrix Foundation - That's a lot of metadata controlled unjust by just one entity.